My Ramblings

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, May 1, 2009

Always hunting for good bargain

Ever since the economic downturn, I have been very careful with our household expenses and if I have the luxury of time while shopping, I do compare prices and contents.

On Wednesday, my ex-colleague and I was having a leisure walk at the supermarket during lunch. I wanted to get some soursops for hubs. He loves soursop very much and it's not easy to come across this fruit. It's only available in certain supermarkets.

I did my usual, choosing the best fruit by : 1) guessing which one will not have black or rotten flesh (sometimes the flesh is blackish and taste bitter) and 2) choosing a fruit that will ripe evenly - it would be frustrating to have a fruit which ripens on one end and still hard on the other.

Then I came across a 'discrepancy', one smaller fruit cost more expensive than the bigger one :

RM7.70(1.242kg) vs RM6.86(1.106kg). You take a look and guess ...


Fishy isn't it ? Experience tells me the RM6.86 could be wrongly priced for it's size.
What did I do ? Look left.. look right... no sales person ...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I quickly made a dash to pay for it.

Go home, quick as a lighthing, used the digital weighing scale to check..
Wah 2.02kg !! WOWWW !!!

The fruit tasted awesome !
.
.
.
Should I have been honest and look for a sales assistant to re-weigh it ?

Nah....
..
..
No need lah.... the evil of me just took over..


HOWEVER,

I would never cheat or shortchange any small time trader whose lives and families are fed on the small margins made daily. I will never do that to a nasi lemak seller, market vendors, newpaper vendor or the small time provision shops.

Big supermarkets.. never mind lah.. I'm not cheating. Pretend ignorance. Ignorance is bliss.
Anyway there has been many times I was overcharged for items but I only discover it when i reach home and it makes no 'petrol sense' to drive back and claim my overcharged purchase!!!