My Ramblings

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Our Favourite Exotic Fruits

Everyone of us has our own favourite fruits. Apart from the basics - apple, orange, banana & papaya, which we always have, I stock up on hubs, Amber's and my own favourites.

Amber's 'recent' favourite red dragonfruit. Very yummy and helps her digestion a lot. After just a quarter of the fruit, I can see maroon hue in her urine. I also like the red stain on her lips. Looks like she had just applied lipstick ! I hope she likes this fruit for long, otherwise I don't know how else to make her eat fruits. I notice her favourite fruits always changes and for the records, her list is :

8months - 1 year - soft nectarines
12 months - 1 year - red apples
1 - 2 year old - soft and sweet packham pears
2 - 3 year old - yellow kiwi
3 yr onwards - refuse most fruit .. and now started liking red dragonfruit.



Hubs favourite exotic fruit is soursop and mangosteen. Soursop is not easily available, although it fruits almost all year round. I get my supply from Carrefour, Isetan or the wet market. He sweats a lot after consuming soursop or mangosteen and we don't know why. He just loves this fruit and always bugging me to get more. He even wanted to plant a soursop tree at home but I stopped him. Soursop trees are not easy to maintain, the fruits rots quite easily and that explains why the fruit is so scarce.



My favourite has to be ...

CUSTARD APPLES !!

I love custard apples (buah nona) as a kid and was lucky to have relatives and neighbours who brought me many. Those small little fruit with lots of seeds, hardly any flesh but so so yummy.
Lately, I found these in the market :


Australian custard apples from Thailand !!!!! Australian ones cost a bomb (almost up to RM30 per fruit), I cannot afford to indulge. These Thai ones are a gem, about RM7 per kilo, it's like a cross breed between local and Australian custard apples, very fleshy and sweet. Amber likes it too.
Seasonal and only available for a couple of weeks in a year. I think it's tail end of the season already as I hardly see it around. Can't wait till next season to enjoy

Another all time favourite, CIKU !! Earthy, custardy and super duper sweet. Love it since I was a kid. I love peeling this fruit it. Looks crusty on the outside but consume when it's tender to touch. If you wait too long the sweetness will turn sour with a saltish tinge. I enjoy peeling the fruit too, just use a fruit knife and glide through the skin.