My Ramblings

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Monday, March 9, 2009

New recipe - yam rice and shrimp paste chicken

I had some friends over for lunch on Sunday. It was quite last minute, can't plan much so I whipped up a yam rice, from 5xmom's list of easy to follow recipes and shrimp paste fried chicken. Turned out quite yummy.

Shrimp paste chicken
===============


This is interesting. I bought a bottle of shrimp paste, made in HK from the market and didn't know what to do with it. I've been frying nam yue chicken all this while and wanted to a change in recipe. I remembered a very nice har cheong fried chicken I had at Jalan Alor sometime back, so I got the idea.

Very simple and easy party food.

Ingredients:
9 drumsticks
Kentucky or any fried chicken flour. I use Tesco Value brand

seasoning:
1 tablespoon of har cheong, Yue Yick brand.
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
dash of pepper
1 tablespoon sugar

Slit vertically across drumsticks to enable marinate to seep in and easier cooking,
marinate with seasoning for an hour, coat with flour and deep fry.

I've tried a couple of fried chicken flour brands, I find Tesco Value the best but it's a bit on the salty side, so go easy on the seasoning. TV's is crispier than the rest. I avoid eggs as it makes the batter bulky, thick and soggy, thus absorbing more oil when frying. Just a light coat of flour will do.

Shrimp paste or har cheong is different from belacan. It's in paste form and has a very sharp and pungent flavour. I add sugar to tame down the pungent-ness.

Yam rice
======

ingredients




garnishings



Recipe :
--------
4 cups rice, rinsed and drained
half bowl of oil
1 small yam, cubed
half a bowl of dried shrimps, rinsed well
5 mushroom, soaked and diced
3 lap cheong, diced
6 small onions, sliced
half a garlic, minced
sprigs of spring onion and chinese parsley, rinsed & chopped

seasoning:
2tbsp abalone sauce
2tbsp sesame oil
1tbsp sugar
2 tbsp soya sauce
1 cube of Knorr no-msg chicken stock

heat oil in wok, fry onion till golden, remove and let it cool
remaining oil, fry lap cheong till cooked and slightly crispy, and remobed
then fry garlic till fragrant, add in dried shrimps, stir well
add in yam & mushrooms, fry for half a minute, and add rice and seasoning
fry well
put in rice cooker, add in 5 cups of water and pandan leaf
cook rice, leave to stand for 3o mins and serve with garnishing of chinese parsley, spring onion and fried onions.



I was very busy getting the food served and walloped with my friends, forgot to take picture of finished product. Alamaks !!!