My Ramblings

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Accidental Gingerbreadman

I had in mind a big project this November. A BIG one.. that is.. to put up our very first Christmas tree and also make some of my own decors.. I wanted to hang candy sticks on the tree and homemade gingerbread man. Took me a while to get the gingerbread man mould. Finally I found a gingerbread man cookie cutter at a baking shop in Cheras (after hunting around 5 or 6 baking shops).

I shared my big BIG project with a blogger friend (you know who you are) and she asked if I could make her the gingerbread man for her boys' party the coming weekend instead.  I had only 1 day to try out the gingerbread man. No promises I said. I didn't know how it'll turn out.

And so... the evening was well planned for baking gingerbread man cookies. Decors - dragees, hundreds and thousands, sprinklies and chocolate chip - all set aside, away from Amber's sight. If she knew I was making something so fun and cute, she'll refuse to sleep and stay up all night to fun-along with me.

I had fun. Lots... Exciting and hilarious. The first few gingerbreads I cut didn't work out.. the head fell and broke before while I transfer it to the baking tray and some .. the legs broke.

How ?? I couldn't delivery decapitated a gingerbread man ! and I tried and tried many times before I finally got it right. Gingerbread man in one piece, with a head, 2 hands and 2 legs. Any weird looking ones, such as elongated heads... irregular limbs  - one long and the other short.. .just went back the the dough to be remodelled again.

Such a simple recipe and delight to finally get it right.

Here .... accidental gingerbread mans with my limited decoration skills ;)




Not too bad la.. can 'kao for' (delivered).

Now, next project is to make butter free, egg free gingerbread man so I can have some mother-daughter bonding and fun moments with her.

And I forgot to mention .. I hate handling royal icing.. Messy and irregular.. 

Oh well.. maybe I need some practise on that too !

tis the season to be jolly.. fa la la la la .. la la la la.. .....