My Ramblings

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Durian Buttercake

Mother in law and her sisters came to visit on Saturday. Got to think of something new to dish out and durian buttercake's been on my mind. I made sure I did a trial on Friday before dishing out the real thing on the in laws.

I went durian hunting and not wanting to pay excessively for the D24, Mao San, Bamboo, Ang Hae.. or whatever.. you know those fancy name durians which cost just as fancy. For cake's sake, I settled with durian kampung from Jusco Mid Valley. Got it quite cheap. On offer for RM10 for 3pks and the guy offered me RM15 for pks. That's a lot of durians to make a cake from.

All excited, here goes :

Easy peasy as long as you get the basic buttercake recipe correct.

Recipe - DURIAN BUTTERCAKE

250gm butter
250gm self raising flour
220gm caster sugar
4 eggs
30ml evaporated milk (if durian is dry, add 10ml more)
pulp of 5-6 seeds of durian, mashed up with evaporated milk

cream butter & sugar till white and fluffy, add in eggs one at a time, continue whisking
add in durian pulp, cream till pulp is all 'broken up' and not in lumps
add in flour, slowly and mixing at lowest speed
Once mixed, pour into lined cake tin and bake at 180C for 45 minutes.

Place cake tin in middle rack of oven, this ensures even distribution of heat when baking. If cake browns on top but still not cooked when test with cake tester, bake for another 5 minutes with only lower heating element.



One pk of durian (or more if you prefer pungent durian flavour)


Beat in the durian pulp with batter, before folding in flour



Fine textured durian cake


Little one loves it too !
My cakes usually rise with no problem but when I baked another same cake for MIL and sisters with special request for added durians (I used 2pk + 40ml milk), it was a tad too heavy and cake could not cook properly. When it started to brown after 45 minutes, the insides were shaky (wobble a little when I shaked the cake tin), so leave it to bake for another 5 minutes with only lower heating element.

Result : A success.. enough to impress the inlaws.. hahahaha..

Try it, any durian lover will love it.