My Ramblings

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Back to needlework

I love cross stitching. My all time favourite hobby, besides cooking. I find sewing therapeutic and I can immerse all my thoughts to it and stitch all night long. When I was travelling for work purpose, I always bring a piece with me to kill time on those long haul flights. Now, they don't allow scissors or anything sharp on flight after the 9-11 incident. That was the pre-Amber days. Now, I'll be lucky if I get to watch 1 episode of Gem Of Life in the evenings.

Amber's been getting her undies mixed up at the childminders recently so I dug up my sewing box and looked for leftover threads. The DMC six strand cotton embroidery floss, I have tons of them. Some new, some half used and some short leftovers. I did a good filing of them for easy searching.

Here are some of my leftover threads put to good use :


I intended to sew an 'a' and realised it looked horrible, so I switched to sew 'A' , which also looked horrible. I did not have the embroidery ring with me, and had to adjust the spacing manually. I resorted to sewing periwinkles, so much easier and half the time needed to sew an 'a'.

I have done 'big projects' and masterpieces many years ago, Most of it is in my brother and sisters house but I have kept 2 pieces. Here they are :

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



ABC bear done on 22 count Aida cloth
Took me almost 2 years to complete ( I was also doing other small pieces in between)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


A fruit basket now hung up at my dry kitchen. This is easy, DMC pattern, stitched on 18 count Aida. Completed in a month.

Aida is the common cross stitch cloth. 18 count means 18 squares per inch. 22 count means 22 squares per inch. You figure out how small the holes are. The higher the count, the finer the piece.

I still have 5 uncompleted pieces, some very nice ones from Thomas Kinkade , the oil painter, others are pieces I bought from Pier 39, a marketplace at the Fisherman's Wharf at San Francisco during my travelling days, when I was employed.

I hope to finish the pieces 'one fine day' and when I'm done, I'll get a sewing machine to start quilting. I've been saving Amber's clothes to patch a quilt for her one day. The quilt will be filled with memories of her childhood, with pieces from here and there. Wouldn't that be memorable ?